Friday, March 11, 2011

Barry Deutsch

Barry Deutsch is a cartoonist who recently published a graphic novel named Hereville. The novel follows an "eleven-year-old troll-fighting Orthodox Jewish girl", but I don't know much more than that, since I've never read it. Anyway, Deutsch visited my school today and I attended one of his presentations. It was pretty exciting - he first drew a caricature with strange facial features, then moved on to read an excerpt from Hereville.

What I found most exciting about his presentation though, was that he walked us through his process of drawing. Like what I'm planning to do, Deutsch creates all of his artwork on the computer. He uses much more sophisticated art equipment than I do, namely a Wacom Cintiq tablet and Adobe Photoshop. I suppose that makes it easier for him to draw, but nevertheless it is time-consuming: in an hour of drawing (compressed to a four minute video for the purposes of his presentation), Deutsch could finish about one panel to his comic book. Of course he's a professional, and he colors and shades his work, but that's still quite a long time, so in my graphic novel I won't be focusing on those things. In any case, it was very interesting to see how a professional drew comics.

1 comment:

  1. I saw him 8th at the library. He is such a natural speaker. I thought the description of his drawing process was interesting; all the layers involved in each drawing.

    ReplyDelete